Americans will be “winging it” during the Big Game! The chicken sandwich may have won 2019, but the chicken wing will still reign supreme over the big game in 2020. The National Chicken Council (NCC) released its annual Chicken Wing Report, projecting Americans to consume a record-breaking 1.4 billion chicken wings during Super Bowl LIV weekend or approximately 27 million more wings (a two percent increase) than last year’s Super Bowl weekend.
To picture just how 1.4 billion chicken wings stack up…
- 1.4 billion wings laid end to end would stretch the entire Florida coastline, home of Super Bowl LIV, more than 9 times
- 1.4 billion wings could circle the circumference of the Earth 3 times
- 175 million pounds of wings weigh 1,500 times as much as an entire NFL team and three of their team busses
- 1.4 billion wings are enough to give every attendee of every Super Bowl since 1967 each 342 wings
- If each wing were one second, it would equal 45 years
To get a better idea of just how much Americans love their chicken wings, NCC asked wing-eaters from around the nation to tell us a little bit more about how they “wing it.” Turns out roughly two thirds of Americans (65%) who eat chicken wings, claim they like to do so while watching a major sporting event like the Super Bowl. Half (51%) claim that they believe chicken wings should be the official food of the Super Bowl.
“Football is great. Wings are great. But they’re even better together,” said Council spokesman Tom Super. “Sure, you can have your chips, your guacamole, your pizza. But when it comes to Super Bowl menus, wings rule the roost. So grab a wet nap, dive in and help put a dent in that 1.4 billion.”
Check some stats in this infographic to put all those wings – and the National Chicken Council’s 2020 Wing Report – into perspective.
Interra is a specialty food distributor focusing on Proteins, and Commodities products. We can help you find the right source at the right price! – Call today for more information +1 770-612-8101, or fill out our contact us form!